Saturday, April 7, 2012

I will not steal Good Eats titles, I will not steal Good Eats titles, I will not steal Good Eats titles, I will not steal Good Eats titles...

I have a wild undying love for Alton Brown and the television masterpiece that is Good Eats. I have the same passion for Golden West's Brussels sprouts, and I love bacon and potatoes. It's a balance that does not strike easily and often becomes volatile. An in depth look at this sordid love triangle and more on today's Maury Povich.

Alton Brown is freaking great. From the food to the puns to the production value, everything about it is awesome. Sure the early episodes look like they're shot on vhs tape but what he lacks in fancy equipment he makes up for in awesome visual aids and tons of heart. For every recipe I cook there's an Alton Brown to go with it. If I can think of which one it is I'll link you to it. That being said, there's one particular episode that I think every aspiring chef will enjoy as either a crash course or a refreshing refresher on the basics of knife work.


This is a great episode, definitely worth checking out. It teaches everything from use to maintenance.
I think that since I plan to be talking a lot about vegetables in my upcoming entries, if you plan to follow along at home this is a particularly fantastic episode since he demonstrates how to cut basically all kinds of vegetables into various sizes. Sounds kind of tedious but trust me, it's totally great. If you learn nothing, I owe you a coke. Alright, that's enough about that.


We all love Golden West Cafe. If you don't like Golden West, you're either not from Baltimore or are tragically uncool and tasteless. Maybe you work there and hate your job... but probably not. Anyway, if you're no stranger to this fine establishment then I hope you are in the know that their Brussels sprouts are AWESOME. That's right, all caps, underlined, italics, and bold. They're that good. I really miss being able to walk a few sunny blocks to the restaurant and scarf these things down while sucking back several of the well chosen beers from their draft. The retaurant serves the sprouts halved and dressed in terryiaki, fried slightly crispy (it tastes like they use sesame oil), and then topped with (toasted?) sesame seeds. Basically it tastes like biting into a mini eggroll. Alas, I live in the annals of Baltimore County now and its nowhere near as easy to pop over. That's why when Letitia came home with a bag of Brussels sprouts, I knew what I had to do. I did some research and was on the fence about what recipe to choose until I stumbled across this guy who was trying to recreate the same recipe. Check out his blog, he's a photographer and designer and does a really nice job with it. Anyway, without any further adieu, the recipe. If you loved this recipe and want more information about Brussels sprouts, check out your local library! Orrrrrrr this OTHER video of Good Eats!


Finally, those of you who know me are probably out there shouting into your computer screens, "Kevin!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU MAN? I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU!!!!" or maybe you're just thinking, "This guy doesn't seem like much of an omnivore to me, more like an OMNIBORE, AMIRIGHT?!" and then look around to realize no one heard your hilarious joke. To you folks I say this. 


Don't be too judicious with your salt, I definitely thought the batch I made needed a little after it was done cooking. I made sure to be extra generous with my bacon garnish and I also topped it with a little cheddar cheese because, come on.  How are you gonna have a baked potato with no cheese? It's the right thing to do. If you're vegan... you'll just have to check back later for a different recipe. Or check out this blog. It's one I stumbled on while looking for new vegetarian meals. See guys? Omnivore.

Blog post number two in the bag. Next blog, next blog, next blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment